Face-to-face with an armed burglar in Brookside home, man fights back and sends suspect running

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Wednesday proved frightening for a Brookside man, as he walked into his home after work and realized he wasn’t there alone. A stranger was also inside, walking toward him with a rifle pointed at his face.

“Every day I come home, lock the door behind me, pet my dog,” Stephen Molloy said.

And as soon as Molloy put his dog down, he looked up to see a man walking toward him with a rifle pointed at his face.

“I'm like just stay calm, you don't have to do this, just take what you want and get out get out,” Molloy said.

The man started screaming he was going to kill Molloy and warned he wasn’t alone.

“I just switched. I genuinely was like, I don't wanna die today,” Molloy said.

Molloy got a hold of the barrel of the gun, head-butted the suspect, threw him against the wall and onto the ground. The rifle the suspect was holding fell too, scuff marks on Molloy’s living room floor remain. The suspect then ran out the door and down the street.

“What terrifies me is my girlfriend could've been there, five minutes later. It would've been her, walking in that door... not me,” Molloy said.

Molloy called 911, within minutes at least a dozen squad cars were on scene. Officers were searching by foot and by chopper. Not long after, the suspect was caught. Molloy was moved by KCPD’s responsiveness and as he described what happened to detectives, it all started to set in.

“I think it's amazing that at 6:30 on a Wednesday night, when the streets are plowed with cars, it's the audacity of it, it's when you least expect it,” he said.

He hopes his neighbors and those watching learn from his story.

“Be safe... be alert... be aware.”

Police say this suspect did go into a few other homes in the Brookside area, but no one else was hurt. FOX 4 is not naming this suspect, because he has not yet been formally charged.



More News