Family believes father and son were shot by family friend who was high

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- A Kansas City, Kansas family is devastated after they witnessed a father and son being shot in broad daylight.

The father was rushed to the hospital, the 21-year-old son was pronounced dead at the scene.

They say the father and son duo were hanging out outside visiting a friend, when that friend pulled out a gun and started shooting.

"Oh God I just cannot believe this is happening,” said Rose Johnson, who lost her nephew and almost lost her brother, all in one day.

She said it started with a phone call.

Her brother Len Mitchell Sr. was on the other end, telling her he was getting into an ambulance and had just been shot in the back.

"I just, I just started screaming," she said.

Len went on to tell her that his son and Johnson’s nephew, Len Mitchell Jr., was dead. Family says he was only 21-years-old.

"When I got over there, he was laying in the street. They had him covered up," Johnson said.

Investigators say the two were in the 1800 block of Rowland Avenue visiting a friend. A friend which family says Len Mitchell Jr. was very close with.

"They all grew up together," said Johnson.

Family says the friend was high on PCP and started pacing the street.

Investigators say the suspect pulled out a gun and fired several shots.

Len Mitchell Sr. watched his son fall to the ground in the street and then realized he had been shot, too.

"He was like, ‘I think Bookie is dead. He's lying in the street and I got shot in the back and I'm getting in the ambulance, come over come over right now,’" recalled Johnson.

Family says Len Mitchell Jr. had just become a dad.

They say he's Len Mitchell Sr.'s only son. Johnson doesn't know how she's going to tell her brother, he's gone.

"I just hope he wasn't in no pain when this happened to him. I just hope he wasn't in no pain. We're gonna miss him so much," she said.

Witnesses say the suspect fled on foot after the shooting.

Family says they know exactly who this person is and have given police a name and description.

Police said Monday they have arrested one suspect, but he has not been charged.

If you know anything about this case police are asking you to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.

Previous coverage:

Data pix.



More News