OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — A firefighter was injured and two pets were rescued from an overnight house fire in Overland Park that officials believe was started by careless smoking.

At about 12:30 a.m. on Friday, the Overland Park and Leawood fire departments were called to the 5300 block of West 158th Place for a reported house fire.

Crews saw smoke and fire coming from the backside of the two-story home and all of the occupants were outside.

Firefighters began an offensive attack on the fire, searched the home, and rescued a cat and a dog from inside.

One crew member was treated at the scene for heat-related stress. No one else was injured.

Initial investigations indicate the fire may have been started by the careless discard of smoking materials.

The home sustained significant smoke damage and fire damage to all floors of the home.

📲 Download the FOX4 News app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for FOX4 email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on fox4kc.com for Kansas City and all of Kansas and Missouri.