SHAWNEE, Kan. -- Firefighters in Shawnee quickly put out a house fire early Friday morning, but remained on the scene for a few hours to monitor hot spots.
The fire started on the back deck of the home near 50th and Millridge around 3:30 a.m., and the wind pushed the fire through the home.
Firefighters on the scene told FOX 4's Rob Collins that they put a lot of water on the home, especially near the back part of the home, and there was a chance it could flare up again because of the wind, so they upgraded it to a two-alarm fire.
"We upgraded us to a two alarm fire because the wind and the amount of fire," fire marshal Corey Sands said. "No damage to other structures. The fire was contained to one home, the Red Cross is here right now, and as soon as daylight comes will continue investigation."
The two adults and two kids inside was able to escape safely.
"Smoke alarm won't activate when the fire starts on the exterior, but they did activate when the fire pushed through the house," Sands said. "The wind actually pushed this far through the home. So they're very lucky, and we're lucky there's no injuries to them or to any of the fire crews."
Structure and belongings damage is estimated to be about $500,000.
Investigators and the fire marshal believe someone was smoking a cigarette on the deck prior to the fire starting.