Man dies in fire at home without working smoke detectors

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Kansas City man died in a fire at a home without working smoke detectors Sunday evening.

Firefighters responded to a fire near 37th Street and College Avenue around 6:30 p.m. As they arrived, one person was outside the home and told firefighters someone else was still inside.

Upon entering the home, they discovered the body of a man in his 50s in a back bedroom.

Friends told FOX 4 on Monday that the man who died was a former Kansas City firefighter.

"We got a call around 6:30 today on a house fire. When we got here, we met one victim in the yard and told us about another victim in the house," Garrett explained. "Our crews were able to reach that victim fairly quickly, within 3 minutes, although the flames were rather intense. We were able to get in there within 3 minutes and retrieve the victim and was not able to get that victim back."

Garrett said the home did not have working smoke detectors.

"Truly that is the travesty of this call because we do have free smoke detectors that we give out though our fire marshals office," Garrett said.

The fire was contained to a single home.

Previous coverage:

Data pix.

Popular

Latest

More News