Four taken to hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- A car left running in a garage Tuesday night caused a home to fill with deadly levels of carbon monoxide, and on Wednesday morning four people were rushed to the hospital.

Police said a 16-year-old boy, a nine-year-old boy and both of their mothers, who are sisters, suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

Emergency crews responded to the home in the 8000 block of W. 121st Terrace after a neighbor reported seeing the 16-year-old boy lying face-down in the front yard, wearing just his shorts and a t-shirt.

"He was very distraught thought his family was hurt and was saying that they may be dead," said David Kabala, a neighbor. "His mom hadn't gotten him for school and so he didn't know what was going on and apparently may have tried to get some out and was just too weak  or too exhausted and just got out the door and collapsed."

Police said the home did not have working carbon monoxide detectors and the gas was building overnight. When they tested the home, carbon monoxide levels were well above 1,200 parts per million, a level considered dangerous.

"I know one adult was above the garage and that's probably the worst of the four victims," said Gary Mason, Overland Park Police.

Wednesday evening, a family member told FOX 4 all four victims were listed in stable condition and are expected to survive.

Earlier coverage:

Data pix.

Download the fox4kc app to stay informed FOX 4 Android app | FOX 4 iPhone app

Popular

Latest

More News