KANSAS CITY, Mo. — One hundred years ago in Hoboken, New Jersey, the Oreo cookie was first sold by weight — just 30 cents a pound.
Since then more than 362 billion Oreos have been sold in more than 100 countries across the globe. They are the world’s top-selling cookie of the 21st Century.
The Oreo takes 59 minutes to make, is covered in a pattern of 12 flowers, 12 dots and 12 dashes with 90 ridges around the edge.
In a research survey by Kraft, they found 84 percent of men eat the cookie whole, while 41 percent of women twist, turn and eat the cookie bit by bit.
10 Creative Ways to Devour Oreos:
- Deep Fried Oreos — Simple recipe that uses ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Homemade Oreo Ice Cream — This recipe calls for Double Stuf Oreos. Mmmm.
- Oreo Biscotti — A twist on the classic Italian treat that gives you an excuse to eat cookies for breakfast.
- Oreo Cheesecake — Made popular by the Cheesecake Factory, but with this recipe, you don’t need to buy from the restaurant.
- Oreo Chocolate Pie — Perfect for the chocoholic.
- Oreo Cupcakes — Crushed Oreo cookies mixed into cake batter. Could it get any better?
- Oreo Martinis — Vodka, Kahlua, creme de cacao and cream blend into a chocolatey cocktail that tastes just like an Oreo.
- Oreo Mint Shake — Mint PLUS Oreos?! So good. Enjoy a delicious milk shake without heading to your local drive-thru.
- Oreo Pancakes — Why not add a little more sugar to that syrup with Oreo sprinkles — not to mention Oreo crumbs in the batter. Yum.
- Oreo Pizza — Oreo cookies mixed with brownie batter, marshmallows and peanut butter candies. NO tomato sauce. ;)