KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- A Kansas City grandmother is alive Friday night thanks to some fast-moving firefighters. The 78-year-old was retired social worker was rescued from her burning home.
The fire began around 11 a.m. Friday after a grease fire in the family's kitchen. While trying to save himself, the woman's grandson, Dominique Wilson, was worried about his trapped, disabled grandmother.
"Yeah, I was scared," he said.
Despite being afraid, he crawled through their burning home as flames shot through the kitchen's ceiling. Smoke was quickly filling the home on North 59th Terrace.
When the 6'10" college student got to his grandmother's smokey bedroom, he saw her lying on her hospital bed. But panicked. He knew he couldn't carry 78-year-old Louvenia Hamm, so he ran outside and screamed to a neighbor to call 911.
He says it took eight firefighters to rescue his grandmother.
"I'm just thankful they came as soon as they came. You know, one second too late she wouldn't be here right now."
"I think with friends and prayers we can get the house back together and God took care of my family," Carol Wilson said, Dominque's mother and daughter to Hamm.
Firefighters say Hamm suffered from smoke inhalation, but was not burned in the fire. Relatives say she'll remain in the hospital for at least a week.
The Hamm family does not have insurance. If you would like to help donate to the family after the devastating fire visit any Liberty Bank in Kansas City and ask for the "Hamm Family Assistance" fund.