Independence Center catches fire, injuring one

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. – Independence Center was evacuated due to smoke which was reported about eight o'clock Saturday night. Customers and employees were all evacuated from the building.

Fire officials say there was some kind of buildup in the intake of a vent. They said leaves had been there for a long time and on Saturday night somehow caught fire.

No customers or employees were injured, but one firefighter was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

“When you have a building as large and old as this you find yourself down corridors, heavy smoke, poor visibility and a pretty big game of hide and seek,” said Battalion Chief Mike Ditamore with the Independence Fire Department.

Saturday was a very cold night for an evacuation with temperatures dipping into the teens.

Tracking Coronavirus

More Tracking Coronavirus

Popular

Latest

More News