Kansas Teen Electrocuted While Working on Computer

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHAWNEE, Kan. — Authorities say that a Shawnee, Kansas, teenager was killed after he was electrocuted by his computer’s power supply.

According to police, the unidentified 16-year-old boy was apparently working on the unplugged computer at his home in August when he got into the computer’s power supply when he was electrocuted.

Experts say that the power supply is made up of capacitors which can hold a dangerous electrical charge for several hours or even several weeks – even after being unplugged. Josh Clark, a computer expert with IT Central Computer Repair in Kansas City says that he has heard of people being shocked by a computer power supply, but not dying.

“I haven’t heard of anybody dying from it, but I guess it could happen,” said Clark. “Electricity, you know, is not something you want to mess with.”

Clark advices following the safety instructions printed on stickers on the backs of computers.

Police have not released the identity of the teen out of respect for the family.

Popular

Latest

More News