KC man credits neighbor’s smoke detector with saving him from fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo.-- A working smoke detector may have saved a Kansas City man's life Wednesday morning after he fell asleep while cooking.

Firefighters were dispatched to 32nd and Morrell just before 3:30 a.m., upon reports of smoke in a small apartment building.

Robert Gilbert was cooking and fell asleep in a ground floor apartment. He didn't hear his smoke detector because the volume was too low. The smoke then rose to the second floor where an upstairs neighbor's smoke detector went off.   That neighbor called 911.

Firefighters were able to put a quick stop to the stove fire but told Gilbert that he might have slept through the fire and smoke that filled his apartment if it had not been for his neighbor's smoke detector.

"The fire department saved my life," Gilbert said. "Make sure your smoke detector works loudly. It doesn't just have to work, it has to work it has to wake you up."

The fire chief on the scene says they replaced Gilbert's smoke detector with a new one, and they even tested it before they cleared the scene.




More News