KCK investigators rule 4-year-old girl’s death a homicide months after she was taken off life support

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Months after a metro mom made the painful decision to take her 4-year-old daughter off of life support, investigators have ruled Honesty Sanders’ death a homicide. The Kansas City, Kan., Police Department announced the development in the case on Tuesday, adding that they still haven’t arrested a suspect, but say they know who the suspect is.

Honesty Sanders
Honesty Sanders

KCK police say on May 27 officers responded to the 700 block of Vermont Ave., and found Honesty laying unresponsive on an apartment floor. Officers attempted CPR and she was later taken to a hospital where she died.

In June her mom told FOX 4’s Robert Townsend that she was convinced someone severely beat the little girl.

“I had a feeling something was going on with her. Didn’t nobody believe me, the police, asking them, asking DFS,” Myra Price said.

“If a baby comes in the hospital by themself unresponsive, brain-damaged, crushed lungs, that’s showing bruises all over her body, that’s abuse so I don’t understand why there’s nobody in custody.”

Price said that in October of 2015 she took Honesty to her paternal grandmother’s home, saying she needed assistance.

“I was off work for a couple of weeks. I asked her, ‘Right now I’m struggling. I really need your help,'” Price explained.

She added that the grandmother took Honesty to her father’s home in KCK, and then only spoke to her daughter three times in a matter of seven months.

“He would let me talk to her for a little bit or I be like, ‘Honesty, are you okay?’ He’d take the phone from her and that’s how you know something was wrong,” Price said.

After Honesty was hospitalized, Price said she couldn’t stand to see her suffer, and made the decision to take her off of life support.

“Basically, she was a vegetable,” Price said. “I wasn’t going to her hurt like that.”

The case is under investigation, anyone with information should call the TIPS Hotline at (816)474-TIPS.

“It’s not a hard case,” Price said. “This is not a hard case. I know there are people dying left and right. A case like this is so simple. A kid comes in the hospital. And the doctor is telling you that her injuries came from clearly abuse. The autopsy is showing she wasn’t fed. You know, things like that. It’s already showing that clearly this was not an accident.”

Police say they do not yet have a suspect in custody, although Price says she believes detectives know who’s responsible for her daughter’s death.

Price just gave birth to a another baby, a boy, about a month ago. She says her son has helped ease the pain of Honesty’s death.

Price says she’s been in therapy since her daughter died. She says it’s difficult to allow her two other kids out of her sight. She says she won’t give up on Honesty’s case, and plans to be in court when justice finally comes.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories


More News

Digital First

More digital first