KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Kansas City organization is reminding parents how critical children’s safety is in the home after an 18-month old suffered facial injuries Wednesday from a fallen television.
Emergency crews responded Wednesday morning to a home in the 1700 block of Moten Place, near Paseo and Woodland Ave. Police say a television accidentally fell onto the boy. Doctors treated him at Children’s Mercy.
Charlie`s House is a group that formed several years back after a similar situation. Two-year-old Charlie Horn died while trying to climb a dresser in his home. The not-for-profit, named in Charlie’s Honor, aims to teach parents how to child-proof their homes. The group’s website offers a place to request free furniture and television straps. Executive Director John McCarthy explains awareness is key. McCarthy said,
“There`s a whole litany of things in and around the home that we look to protect children from, and we really work hard to fulfill that mission.”
Doctors say the boy who was hurt in Wednesday`s accident is expected to fully recover.
Click here (http://charlieshouse.org/) to learn more about Charlie’s House and how you can get free straps for the televisions and furniture in your home.