KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Kansas City Power and Light worker was injured while working on a power pole Wednesday morning.
Shane Green, who is a lead lineman with the power company, made contact with an energized wire around 11:30 a.m. in the 4800 block of NE Park Lane in Kansas City, Mo.
According to KCP&L, Green was working with three other employees performing maintenance on the line.
Green received severe burns to his body and remains in critical condition.
The pole the employee was working on is the same pole that is the subject of a FOX 4 Problem Solvers story. A woman had called the FOX 4 Problem Solvers to report the pole was leaning into her yard and had asked for help. FOX 4 Problem Solvers sought the assistance of KCP&L and AT&T, and on Wednesday the companies sent crews out to correct the problem.
While crews were working on the pole, the homeowner said it became loose. The worker standing on the ground below was hit by a wire from an adjacent pole. The homeowner reported hearing a loud boom and saw smoke. The woman said it appeared as if he had received a shock. Workers began CPR and an ambulance was called. The homeowner said the injured employee was conscious when he was transported to an area hospital.
“The Green family is aware that many members of the community are concerned about Shane,” KCP&L said in a statement. “The family is extremely grateful for the community’s outpouring of support. Now, his family requests that they be given the privacy they need to focus on Shane and his medical treatment.”