KU Frat House Evacuated After Three-Alarm Fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Fire battled a three-alarm fire at the Sigma Chi Fraternity House near the KU Campus. Firefighters were called to the house which is located at 14th & Tennessee around 3:55 on Wednesday afternoon.

Crews reported smoke and flames were showing from the roof and balcony when they arrived on the scene. A representative for the fraternity says there was construction going on at the house but at this time, it's uncertain of how the fire started.

"First, initially crews found smoke showing along the eaves area where that balcony meets the roof," said Div. Chief of Quality Services Eve Tolfree.

The hot dry weather caused Lawrence fire crews to call in help from Lenexa and Overland Park firefighters.

"The second alarm was called due to the red flag warnings of high humidity, and higher winds. We've had pretty much no rain," Tolefree said.

KU is working to find temporary housing for the 80 students who were displaced by the fire.

"What we do with other off campus fires, is provide assistance with books, clothing and the other things they may have lost in the fire," said Jack Martin KU spokesperson.

The fire department has not released an official cause for the fire.

No one was hurt.

Popular

Latest

More News