This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEE’S SUMMIT, Mo. — A Lee’s Summit councilman says he’s considering a local bathroom ordinance, after a call to Target headquarters left him with even more concerns about their policies.

Target said last week it was standing for inclusivity, allowing customers to use whichever bathroom they identify with.

But Councilman Chris Moreno says that creates dangers for women and children.

The American Family Association says Target’s policy opens up their bathrooms to sexual predators, who could just say they identified with the other gender. Late Thursday night the number of people signing a petition to boycott Target topped 1 million.

“You don’t have to boycott the store, for example Target has family restrooms, if you are concerned about it, go there,” Target shopper Corey Pebbworth said.

Moreno says he called Target saying he wanted trained bathroom attendants protecting people outside the bathroom of every store, or he might have to take legislative action to protect citizens himself.

“If they are not going to act I feel it’s an obligation for the city, to stand up and protect the women and children of this community. If Target can do it, so can a bar for example,” Moreno said.

“Are we going to allow drunk males to walk into a restroom full of females and do whatever they want? We can’t go down that slippery slope as a community,” Moreno said.

“You have to watch out for the children sometimes people send their children in and they wait outside, you just never know what could happen,” Target shopper Kimberly Jenney said.

Moreno said Target told him it would take his suggestions under advisement.