Lee’s Summit School Board meeting takes shocking turn with superintendent placed on leave

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. -- Tensions ran high at the Lee's Summit School Board meeting as a huge shakeup was announced on Thursday night.

The meeting took a shocking turn, as the board announced its superintendent, Dr. David McGehee, has been put on administrative leave.

Hundreds sat inside a packed auditorium at Lee's Summit North High School, anxiously waiting to confront the superintendent, only to see an empty chair and then to hear a surprising announcement.

"The board voted to place Dr. David McGehee on administrative leave, effective immediately."

Hundreds cheered after that announcement. The board members did not go into specifics about their discussion and negotiations of Dr. McGehee's contract and future with the district.

Dr. McGehee has been under fire after it was announced he was the highest paid superintendent in the state. Parents argue that money needs to be in the classroom.

He also faced backlash after the board announced he was dating an attorney who represents the board and helps with contract negotiations. It was announced that law firm is no longer working for the district, but people in attendance said it doesn't matter. They say Dr. McGehee is now untrustworthy.

The board's president, Terri Harmon, announced she is stepping down, but that is not enough for tax payers. They want both Harmon and McGehee to resign. One went as far to threaten board member Harmon if she does not leave the board.

"Resign, because personally I'm coming after you. I'm coming after you. I want you off this board. You don't deserve being on this board," one citizen said.

"You need to understand. You are not capable of making good judgement and sound decisions, period," another said.

FOX 4 is working to get more details about the situation. Attempts to speak with Dr. McGehee early Thursday were unsuccessful, he was not available.



More News