This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEE’S SUMMIT, Mo. — An 18-year-old Lee’s Summit high school senior has been charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter and one count of assault in the 2nd degree for driving while intoxicated in a crash that killed two of his friends on February 1.

Police say at about 4:00 p.m., Monday, Feb. 1, Collin Carter, 18, was trying to pass another northbound car on the two-laned Pryor Road in Lee’s Summit when another car approached from the opposite direction.

According to the police report, a witness says Carter at one point may have been going 80-100 m.p.h. on Pryor Road. The witness told police that Carter attempted to return to his lane, but lost control of the 2005 Nissan Sentra, swerving back and forth in the lane, with the rear of his car apparently ‘fishtailing’. The witness said on the final swerve, he skidded sideways into southbound traffic. The oncoming southbound car hit Carter’s car at S.W. Pryor Road south of Longview Road, causing significant damage and significant ‘intrusion’ into the passenger compartment of Carter’s vehicle. The impact also caused Carter’s car to roll on its top.

The passengers in Carter’s car were killed. They were identified as Nathan Giron, 18, who was declared dead at the scene, and Courtney (Tanner) Rardin, 18, who died upon arrival at the hospital.  Rardin, a front-seat passenger, was wearing a seatbelt. Giron was sitting in the back center and was not wearing a seatbelt, according to the police report.

According to the probable cause statement, a toxicology report showed Carter had what’s considered a ‘high level’ of depressant in his system. The depressant Benzodiazapine, is in the family of tranquilizers, and is given with a prescription.

Nathan Giron, 18, and Courtney (Tanner) Rardin, 18.
Nathan Giron, 18, and Courtney (Tanner) Rardin, 18.


Tanner Rardin graduated from Lee’s Summit West High School ast year. Nathan Giron was a senior at Lee’s Summit West High School.

Carter, also a senior at Lee’s Summit West High School, was in the hospital with serious injuries, while the driver of the southbound car was hospitalized with minor injuries.

On Monday early afternoon, Carter was not yet in custody. Bond was set at $75,000 and Carter was to surrender his license plates and ordered not to drive.

Joyce Smith, Tanner Rardin’s grandmother said her grandson was on his way to get something to eat with his friends.

“They’ve been on a restaurant tour. They all had gift cards so almost every day I think they were going someplace different to eat,” Smith told FOX 4 after the crash.

An earlier report on FOX 4: