LEE’S SUMMIT, Mo. — A Lee’s Summit teenager is accused of shooting and killing a friend in the basement of the victim’s home.

Prosecutors charged 18-year-old Cooper Ashley with involuntary manslaughter in the May 13 shooting of 18-year-old Dakota Wrightsman.

Lee’s Summit police responded to a shooting call at a home near SE King and SE Third streets around 1 a.m.

According to court documents, emergency responders found Wrightsman bleeding from his head and neck near the top of the stairs on the second story. He died from his injuries.

Wrightsman’s father told officers that he was outside and heard a gunshot. He went inside and saw his son running upstairs to his mother.

The court document also shows he told detectives that his son was in the basement of the house with Ashley and two other people at the time of the shooting.

When detectives interviewed Ashley about the shooting the teenager said he, Wrightsman and two other people were in the basement of Wrightsman’s home. Ashley said he noticed a handgun on the floor and picked it up.

The court document says Ashley said he had a finger on the trigger and a single shot fired from the gun. Tests found gunshot residue on Ashley’s hands.

Ashley also admitted to investigators that he consumed marijuana shortly before the shooting according to the court paperwork.

One of the other witnesses in the basement at the time of the shooting provided more information about the shooting when detectives asked how Wrightsman died.

The probable cause statement shows the witness told officers the gun belonged to him. He said he thought the gun fell out of the pocket of his hoodie when he and another witness were wrestling over a beanbag in the Wrightsman’s basement.

According to the court document, the witnesses said right after the shooting Ashley said he thought the gun was his airsoft gun, although Ashley never mentioned the airsoft gun to detectives.

The witness continued and said that following the shooting Ashley talked about running from the house before asking the others in the basement to help come up with a “story” about what happened.

The witness told officers that Ashley also drank alcohol before the shooting.

Detectives then watched video from the house. It showed Wrightsman’s father asking his son’s three friends what happened in the basement.

“We had the gun. It was on the floor and I went to move it away so this wouldn’t happen and it just went off,” Ashley said according to the probable cause statement.

But during police interviews, the other two witnesses told detectives they saw Ashley pointing the gun directly at Wrightsman’s head according to the court document.

Detectives also interviewed other people who know Ashley. One of the people said he taught Ashley how to shoot guns.

The witnesses also told detectives that Ashley was known to carry an airsoft gun around. They reported that Ashley liked to point the weapon at himself and other people and pull the trigger, according to the probable cause statement.

Ashley posted $5,000 bond and is scheduled to be back in court June 20.

FOX4 spoke to Ashley on the phone Thursday who said he was on his way to get an ankle monitor at the time of the conversation.

Ashley said last month’s incident was a complete accident. He told FOX4 he thought the gun that he shot was an airsoft gun as well. 

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker’s office would not comment on camera. A spokesperson for her, though, said the first-degree involuntary manslaughter charge was filed because the shooting appeared to be unintentional.