LENEXA, Kan. — A man is dead and six others are homeless following a fire in Lenexa.
The fire started early Sunday morning at a home on Redbird Street. All seven people inside the burning home escaped, but a man suffered severe burns. He later died at an area hospital from his injuries.
Friends of the homeowners are stepping up to help.
“It`s nice to see that other people are stepping up to help,” family friend Joe Procter said. “We’ve got friends of friends donating, and fantasy football league members are donating, soccer team members are donating and it`s been the one only positive thing about this, is seeing how people really care and it`s heartwarming to see how much everyone is doing.”
The fire remains under investigation, but a division chief in Lenexa’s Fire Department said he believes it started in the fireplace and then spread.