KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kansas City Public Schools will reopen Longfellow Elementary School on Friday after a carbon monoxide leak sent six students and two adults to hospitals.

Hayden Martin was at school when his peers started showing signs of carbon monoxide exposure Wednesday morning.

“I was just trying to think like is it a fire,” Hayden said. “Like I was just trying to know what was happening, and they were like bringing stretchers out, and it was kind of scary. The vice principal and principal came out and said like they were trying to update us on what was happening.”

The district said all eight people who were sick from the carbon monoxide were released from hospitals the same day.

“It scared me to death. Like I didn’t know what to expect,” grandparent Dori Woodruff said.

Students spent another day learning at the Manual Career Technical Center on Thursday while crews inspected the HVAC system at Longfellow Elementary School.

The district said after running several tests Thursday, crews determined there was a problem with the fresh air intake. Some yard debris got in the way. That issue has been repaired, according to the school district.

Woodruff said she dropped her grand kids off at school Wednesday morning, hours before the call about the carbon monoxide leak.

“They were complaining of headaches,” Woodruff said. “Some were sick and throwing up.”

Her three grandkids went to the hospital hours after they got home from school.

“They gave them oxygen and took blood and did things like that,” Woodruff said.

The district said the HVAC system is now operating correctly, and staff and students will return to school in the building Friday.

Students and parents FOX4 spoke to said they’re happy with the district’s response.

“I feel like I know everybody is OK because everybody that needed it got treated quick enough,” Martin said.

KCPS plans to continue to provide extra support to the school Friday and next week.

“We remain extremely grateful that the quick thinking and professional actions of our Longfellow staff helped everyone get to safety yesterday. We would also like to thank KCFD and EMS for their assistance during a difficult situation,” KCPS said in a statement Thursday morning.

📲 Download the FOX4 News app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for FOX4 email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on fox4kc.com for Kansas City and all of Kansas and Missouri.