This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Kansas man charged with killing a Kansas City, Missouri, police officer and a pedestrian returned to court Monday.

Jerron Allen Lightfoot, 18, of Tonganoxie, posted a $3,000 bond on Feb. 17 and was released on house arrest. He is required to stay in Jackson County.

At his Monday court appearance, Lightfoot walked in and out of court with his attorney.

“I have no comment,” he said to reporters outside the Jackson County Courthouse. His next hearing is scheduled for April 11.

Lightfoot’s attorney released the following statement ahead of his client’s court appearance:

Mr. Lightfoot is presumed innocent, and we will let the criminal justice system play out. The events that unfolded on February 15, are tragic and unfortunate. But as the charges suggest, Mr. Lightfoot’s alleged actions were not intentional. Mr. Lightfoot and his family offer sympathy to all those affected by this unfortunate event.

Lance Sandage, Attorney for Jerron Lightfoot

Prosecutors charged Lightfoot with two counts of first-degree involuntary manslaughter stemming from a Feb. 15 crash near Truman Road and Benton Boulevard.

According to court documents, Lightfoot was speeding and ran a red light before hitting Officer James Muhlbauer’s car.

Muhlbauer died from his injuries at a nearby hospital. His K-9 Champ died at the scene, but Lightfoot is not charged with the animal’s death.

A pedestrian, identified as 52-year-old Jesse Eckes was standing near the intersection and also died in the crash.

Muhlbauer and Champ were laid to rest last week. A funeral for Eckes will be held on March 3.

Court documents show Lightfoot denied drinking or doing drugs before the crash, but investigators took a buccal swab as a standard part of the investigation. The prosecutor’s office confirmed Lightfoot was not impaired at the time of the crash.