KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A 40-year-old man has died Friday after reportedly shooting at Kansas City police and triggering a standoff in a Westside neighborhood.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol is investigating after KCPD officers initially went to the scene near West 17th and West Pennway streets at about 11:30 p.m. Thursday night for reports of a man who was firing a gun.

Witnesses called 911 when they allegedly saw the man, now identified as 40-year-old Tyrone Payne, drag a woman into a home.

The highway patrol said when officers arrived, Payne fired shots inside a residence and then fired in proximity of the officers, who shot back. The suspect wasn’t hit and retreated. A SWAT team responded and the standoff began.

Neighbors said children and older relative were also inside the Westside condo during the standoff.

Negotiations for a surrender started around 12:30 a.m. Friday, but investigators said Payne came outside while crawling and pointing a gun at officers.

MSHP said there was an exchange of gunfire again, and Kansas City police shot the man, killing him. Payne was pronounced dead at the scene.

Neighbors said there were signs of disturbance even before Kansas City police arrived.

“Basically, all I heard was like — I was laying my kids down, and then I just heard like a loud pop. I didn’t hear anything afterwards. I didn’t hear any screaming, any hollering, any yelling, nothing. It was just like a pop and then silence,” said Sydnee Calkins, who lives nearby.

“I made sure my kids were safe. That’s it. Make sure my kids were safe because bullets don’t got no eyes on them, and I just want to follow the law and do what’s right, man,” said Joshua Berryhill, who also lives nearby.

It’s scary for neighbors who have witnessed more domestic violence than just over two years ago.

“A few houses down that way, a mother and son were shot and killed by the boyfriend who was living there,” said one neighbor who asked not to be named.

In that case, Dmarius Bozeman shot Khasheme Strother and her son Raymon Hill in February 2021. He also shot another man at the time. In December, he was found guilty of second-degree murder and was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

“This is the second incident since I’ve been down here where somebody has gotten hurt, and now this time it’s even closer. So it’s definitely unsettling,” Calkins said.

“I’ve lost people to domestic situations, so it’s a very sensitive subject to me. But if it ever gets to that point, please just leave. Like, that’s all that I can say,” Calkins added.

Berryhill said he was focused on his kids’ safety.

“These kids are innocent, man, and I love my kids to death, man. They are the future, man, and I want my kids to grow up to be something, man,” Berryhill said. “And this is a good community that I’m raising them in. I just want my kids to be in a good community.”

He said he thinks police did the right thing.

“He knew he wasn’t supposed to have that gun. He shot at them first, and they handled business,” Berryhill said. “Their life is in danger too. You know what I mean? They’re protecting and serving. They need to go home to their wife and kids, too.”

There are still details missing from authorities as this situation happened so recently. Officials haven’t released any details about what motivated Payne’s behavior at this time.

MSHP will lead the investigation going forward.