KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Officials say a man has been found dead Wednesday afternoon inside a home where Kansas City-area law enforcement were involved in a standoff.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol said its SWAT team and the FBI’s SWAT team entered and secured the home near E. 23rd Street and Blue Ridge Boulevard.

Inside, officials found a man deceased and a woman alive with no injuries. MSHP Sgt. Andy Bell said they do not know how the man died at this time, and he has not been identified.

The woman surrendered and was taken into custody. Bell said they don’t know her role in the incident at this time.

Bell could not comment on why the agencies’ SWAT teams decided to enter the home. Law enforcement had been involved in the standoff all night and day after the three officers were shot.

MSHP and FBI investigators are processing the scene as they continue to investigate.

“Our investigators are just now being able to enter the house,” Bell said. “They’re going to have to go through the house to collect evidence and to make identification on the deceased and actually determine how he became deceased.”

The standoff began around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday night after three Kansas City police officers were shot.

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said officers were executing a search warrant, and when they opened the door, they were met with gunfire.

Officers did return gunfire, but it’s unknown if anyone else was injured, according to Graves.

Graves said the three officers shot are men and have non-life threatening injuries. She said the officers are awake and she has spoken with them.

University Health Truman Medical Center where 3 KCPD officers are being treated
Scene outside of University Health Truman Medical Center where three KCPD officers were taken after being shot, hurt near 23rd and Blue Ridge on February 28, 2023

The Missouri State Highway Patrol has taken over the shooting investigation and Independence police, MSHP and FBI handled the standoff.

Early Wednesday morning, Independence police spokesman Jack Taylor told FOX4 two other people came out of the home.

Bell said they don’t know who shot at the Kansas City officers at this time.

This incident happened just days after KCPD Officer James Muhlbauer, K9 Officer Champ were killed by a suspected speeding driver. The crash also killed 52-year-old Jesse Eckes.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas tweeted Tuesday night about an exceptionally challenging time for KCPD.

“We’ve been reminded too much lately in Kansas City how dangerous police work can be,” Mayor Lucas tweeted Tuesday night. “I am praying for a fully recovery for our three officers injured this evening and that everyone on duty gets home to their families safely.”

📲 Download the FOX4 News app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for FOX4 email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on fox4kc.com for Kansas City and all of Kansas and Missouri.

This is a developing story. FOX4 will continue to keep you updated as new details become available.

Anyone with information can always call the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-8477.