Overland Park man sentenced for armed robberies at five metro businesses


KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A 28-year-old Overland Park man was sentenced in federal court Tuesday for the robberies and attempted robberies of five businesses.

Joshua A. West was sentenced to 19 years in federal prison without parole.

On April 28, 2021, West pleaded guilty to five counts of robbery and two counts of brandishing a firearm in furtherance of a violent crime.

West admitted that he robbed the CVS Pharmacy at 6300 Prospect Avenue in Kansas City, on July 17, 2018. When West came around the counter, the cashier, who believed he was armed, opened the cash drawer. West took all of the cash and left the store. Investigators posted a bulletin using a photo from surveillance footage, and received a tip that identified West, who was on probation at the time.

West also admitted that he used a firearm to rob the Sprint Store at 4902 N. Oak Trafficway, in Kansas City on Aug. 10, 2018. West forced an employee to open the locked cabinets behind the counter so he could take all the iPhones, Apple Watches, and Samsung S-9 phones.

The next day, on Aug. 11, 2018, West robbed the Phone Shack at 6392 Troost Avenue in Kansas City at gunpoint. West forced two employees to get on the ground, then stole phones and cash from the register.

On Aug. 15, 2018, a manager of a T-Mobile store sent a photo of West to all the managers of stores in the metropolitan area. On the same day, the manager of a T-Mobile store at 12400 S. US Hwy. 71 in Grandview spotted West in the parking lot outside the store. Because he had been alerted, the manager locked the door. West tried to open the door, then pointed a firearm at the manager from outside for a few seconds before walking away.

Immediately afterward, West entered the nearby AT&T store and pulled out a firearm and ordered the employees to give him all the iPhones. West ordered the two employees and a customer into a back room. Another customer stayed in the main showroom and ran out of the store after West went to the back room. That customer called 911. Once in the back room, an employee opened a closet that had all the iPhones. West ordered them to the ground and put the phones in a plastic bag.

West left the back room, going back through the main showroom. Before he reached the front door, however, two Grandview police officers confronted him in the main showroom. West attempted to run through the back room, but the door had locked behind him. The officers ordered West to get on the ground, but he refused, and a struggle followed.

During the struggle, a Taurus 9mm pistol fell from West’s waistband. More officers arrived and took West into custody.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories


More News

Digital First

More digital first