Police: Kids skipping school break into home, one gets shot

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police say Northeast High School was put on lock down immediately after the school resource officer heard reports of a shooting just after 10 a.m. Wednesday. Officer Darin Snapp with KCPD says a homeowner called police after his alarm company called him and said his alarm was going off.

"His house was burglarized yesterday. so he knew something was probably up, so he comes home real fast," Snapp said. "When he gets here he finds two people inside his residence, something occurs, he shoots one of the suspects. Both suspects are able to actually run out of the house, they run out into the street."

Snapp says the suspects are ages 14 and 15 and attend Northeast High School. One was shot in the ankle.

"He was up next to the school he couldn't actually get into the school," Snapp said. "It was actually in lock-down, he was found outside the school the other one was found at the end of the alley."

Snapp says the school called 15 minutes after they received reports of the burglary.

"Sure enough our two suspects were kids that were skipping school, and they actually went back to the school, so we have both suspects in custody," Snapp said. "There's a witness, a very good witness, that lives right next to the house that was getting burglarized. He's the one who called us and gave us a great description -- told us it was young kids. And when we got here it was unfortunate that one of them got shot. Homeowner, he's got to do what he's got to do, he has to protect himself and his property."

Police say nothing was taken from the home on Tuesday, but they believe if it was the same suspects as today, they took a peak yesterday and came back today to take what they wanted.

The school declined to comment on the matter because it happened off of school property.



More News