Mom deals with monster problem trying to get tablet repaired

Problem Solvers
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Every day 13-year-old Cameron Nedrow checks the email on her mom's computer.

"It's been two months and I've actually been counting the days," Cameron said.

Counting the days until she gets her own tablet computer back from the manufacturer, who is supposed to be repairing it. It's a story in frustration that starts in early June. That's when the charging port broke on her three-month-old Monster tablet. It would no longer accept a charge.

Cameron's mom, Tera Nedrow, wasn't too worried since the $79 tablet was still under the manufacturer's warranty and she had even purchased a $40, two-year extended warranty when she purchased it at

"I first called Walmart because I bought the warranty through them," Mrs. Nedrow said.

But Walmart said the problem was not covered by the extended warranty because the tablet was still under the manufacturer's warranty. So Mrs. Nedrow immediately contacted the manufacturer, Monster.

"Monster wanted a picture of the charging port, picture of the charging cable," she said.

Nedrow emailed Monster the pictures. When she didn't hear back after three days, she called. The news wasn't good.

"They couldn't open the attachment," she said.

So she resent the photos and called again.

"They kept saying they weren't receiving it," she said.

Finally, two weeks later, Monster had the photos. Then and only then did Monster provide Mrs. Nedrow with an address to mail the tablet (in its original box) for repairs. A Monster representative told her it could take any where from three to six weeks.

"It's been two months," said Mrs. Nedrow.

When she calls Monster to check on the progress, she usually gets a recording telling her to leave a message and someone will call back in 48 hours. But she said they never do, so she calls again.

"I've probably called 50 times," Mrs Nedrow said.

She said she's actually reached a real person about 10 times. Three weeks ago, she was lucky enough to get a supervisor. But she said the supervisor appeared to be reading to her from the same script as the other employees.

"If they can't repair it and it is a manufacturer's defect, we'll send you a new one," said Mrs. Nedrow as she recalled the wording of the script.

Frustrated and with no solution in sight, Mrs. Nedrow called Fox 4 Problem Solvers. We thought it was ridiculous that it would take more than two months to get a charging port fixed. So we called Monster and asked why. We never got an answer to that question, but our phone call did prompt a return call from a "George" who said he was with Monster's escalation team.

He apologized for the delay Mrs. Nedrow and her daughter had endured and is mailing a new tablet to the Nedrows immediately.

Walmart said it wishes Mrs. Nedrow had brought the problem she was having with Monster to its attention earlier, because Walmart said it could have helped her resolve it, adding that it cares about its customers.



More News