The Lee’s Summit Police Department shared the new route with its Facebook followers Tuesday afternoon.
The entrance to Whataburger that is directly off the southbound lanes of Douglas Street is no longer open because of the of the amount of congestion it was causing in the area.
Customers now need to make a 3-mile detour around the back of the restaurant.
The Lee’s Summit Police Department provided the following turn-by-turn directions and map:
From Interstate 470:
1. Go south on Northeast Douglas Street to Tudor Road (the police department is on the corner).
2. Turn right (west) and travel down Tudor Road to Northwest Main Street.
3. Turn right (north) on Northwest Main Street and travel up to Northwest Victoria Drive.
4. Turn right one final time (east) and travel down Victoria to the entrance to the Public Storage business. An officer will be at this location directing customers into the back entrance to the parking lot.
5. To exit, traffic will be directed back out onto Northwest Victoria Drive and forced to go west. Once drivers reach Northeast Main Street, they can choose to go north toward Colbern Road, or south back to Northeast Tudor Road.
The new route is expected to be in place from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily through Sunday.