KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Kansas City Health Department completed its investigation at City Union Mission’s food warehouse and released its findings on Thursday.
In its report, the health department described the series of events that began with a phone call on Tuesday, Aug. 2nd from Mark Heim, USDA inspector, about the City Union Mission warehouse facility at 1020 E. 10th. Heim reported that the facility had a severe rodent infestation and said the unsanitary conditions were ‘among the worst he has seen in 20 years.’
When the health department went to inspect it on the first day, they found ‘an excessive amount of molded and adulterated foods, a significant fly infestation… and the odor of rodent infestation as well as mold buildup on the walls.’
Canned foods showed excessive rust due to exposure to rodent urine and feces. Rodent activity was observed in the walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer.
Additionally, all shelving and flooring were covered with rodent feces, rodent carcasses, nesting sites and live rodent activity, according to the report.
That day dumpsters were brought in to begin disposing of food.
The next day on Wednesday, Aug. 3rd, City Union Mission contacted a pest control company to treat the rodent infestation. Glue traps were placed around the facility. That day, 24 live mice were trapped and removed even prior to the glue traps being set.
On Thursday, Aug. 4th, the Kansas City, Mo. Health Dept. returned to the warehouse to continue observing the disposal of food. During that time, when the mice traps were checked, more than 100 live mice had been trapped in the glue traps set the prior evening. The day was spent throwing out contaminated food and trapping mice. The disposal was complete on Friday, Aug. 5th at approximately 2:00 p.m.
Executive director Dan Doty says this has been a huge setback, but they’ll continue serving the community the best they can. The shelter houses nearly 400 people every night, providing three meals a day. Over the course of four days, the health department reports 126,540 of contaminated food was thrown away, requiring nine dumpsters.
Click here to read the inspection report from the health department.