Reporter, senator play key role in getting treatment for sick boy during government shutdown

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Roeland Park, Kan., boy had blood drawn Monday at Children's Mercy Hospital for a potentially life-saving test that had been delayed by the partial government shutdown. Little Bo Macan had his blood drawn Monday morning.

The 3-year-old boy's blood is on its way to the National Institutes of Health for a test that could help save the boy's life.

Last week Bo's mother was concerned over how her child would survive a long political showdown waiting for the test.

Bo suffers from a severe immune system disorder. The specific test he needs to determine the course of treatment can only be done at NIH.

Carolyn Macan, Bo's mother, vented her frustrations on Facebook last week when she learned the partial government shutdown would prevent her son from immediately getting the test.

After Bo's story aired on FOX 4 News, we contacted U.S. Senator Jerry Moran of Kansas about Bo's predicament. Late last week, the Senator himself called Carolyn Macan and told her that the National Institutes of Health would complete the test for Bo. Monday morning, the boy and his family arrived at Children's Mercy for the first step.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so excited," Carolyn Macan said. "I'm relieved and I'm kind of a little bit cautious too because I want to make sure it gets there. It's in transit already right now. I want to make sure they get it and the lab is functioning. I will be more relieved when NIH calls me and says we got it."

Carolyn says it could take between 10 to 12 days to get the results from the test. Afterwards, doctors can determine how to administer a drug the boy needs before he can get a bone marrow transplant.

She says she has come to appreciate first-hand the power of social media in making a difference for her son.

If Bo could not move forward with his treatment plan, his mom says he would have become progressively sicker waiting for the test. And with flu season upon us, the risks of doing nothing were much greater for Bo.

Tracking Coronavirus

More Tracking Coronavirus



More News