Shawnee house destroyed after space heater sparks fire

News

(Getty Images)

SHAWNEE, Kan. — A family of five is lucky to be alive after a fire destroyed their home overnight.

Shawnee fire crews responded to a fire in the basement of a home near Johnson Drive and Aminda Street, just east of K-7 around 1:30 a.m. Monday. Flames had already spread from the basement window to the side of the home.

The three adults and two children inside the house escaped without injury, but a cat was killed. The fire department said working smoke alarms alerted the family about the danger.

Shawnee fire investigators determined a space heater in a basement bedroom started the fire. They estimate the fire caused about $350,000 in damages. The victims do have insurance and are staying with family.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest

More News

Digital First

More digital first