SHAWNEE, Kan. — Shawnee Mayor Michelle Distler has been arrested and charged, according to Johnson County court documents.
Distler, 47, was charged on Nov. 23, 2020 with perjury, defined as lying while testifying in a non-felony trial. According to the charging documents, it allegedly occurred on March 7, 2020.
The mayor was booked into the Johnson County jail Wednesday and has since been released on a $2,500 bail.
Distler was sworn into office in April 2015 and was re-elected in November 2019, according to Shawnee’s city website.
The City of Shawnee released the following statement to FOX4: “The City was notified that the Johnson County District Attorney filed a charge against Mayor Michelle Distler on December 2, 2020. We want to reassure our community that City services and programs will not be impacted.”
FOX4 is working to find out more information, and will have continuing coverage on FOX4 News at 5 & 6 and right here on FOX4KC.COM
- KC company transforms bedroom, bathroom for girl with special needs
- Missing Missouri doctor’s body found in northwest Arkansas
- Fire at historic KCK school ruled arson, but board hopes to save building
- FOX4 Forecast: More storms Wednesday morning
- KC nonprofit’s ‘Stadium Design Challenge’ teaches range of skills