Update: Kansas City police said in an email Monday that a preliminary investigation showed that the shooting appeared to be an accident. Detectives have identified a person of interest. Police later in the week identified the victim as 19-year-old Jason Smith.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A person has died after a shooting in the parking lot of the zoo on Sunday evening.
Public Information Officer Sgt. Jake Becchina confirmed the shooting happened inside a vehicle.
Officers responded to the area just before 5 PM. When they got to the scene they found a man lying on the ground, outside of a car. Despite efforts of paramedics the victim died from his injuries.
The initial investigation found that there were three other people in the car with the victim and the victim was shot from inside the car. The three other people remained at the scene and were detained by officers for questioning. Detectives are not looking for any other suspects at this time.
- Man charged with murder in deadly shooting of Daisy Martinez on SW Boulevard
- Kansas Senate debate sees clashes on Supreme Court, climate
- Official: Michigan resident’s toilet display mocking mail-in voting is a crime
- Foot Locker turning U.S. stores into temporary voter registration sites
- GOP Senator Lisa Murkowski says she’ll oppose Supreme Court nomination before Election