This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRANDVIEW, Mo. — A Grandview man is back home recovering after being shot while working at a car dealership. Wednesday, he got the news he was hoping for as police announced they have a person of interest in custody.

“I thought for sure either, A: I was gonna die there, or I was gonna pass out and die later,” Michael Mitchell said.

Those were Mitchell’s first thoughts, after being shot in the back at Pride Auto Sales. Mitchell was having a morning meeting with his boss, when a man came to the door.

“He knocked on the door, I went and unlocked the door and let him in. He was asking about the couple of different cars. I was pulling up some information for him,” Mitchell recounted.

Mitchell said the man refused to take his coat off and sit down, and began pacing back and forth.

“He started getting more quiet and didn’t really look that comfortable. I started to get that feeling something wasn’t right,” he said.

Mitchell said his boss walked up and the suspect pulled out a gun. Mitchell says his boss pulled a gun as well, and a shootout began.

“The way that I look at it, he saved my life that day,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell tried to run out of the store, but he said the suspect turned the gun on him and a bullet hit his back.

“I thought it had hit my heart. I thought I was gonna die. I didn’t wanna die in the cold so I went back in and told my boss,” he said.

Mitchell was rushed to the hospital where he through extensive surgeries. Now, not even a month later, you would never know what he’s been through. That is until, he shows you.

“That’s the exit wound,” he said.

The bullet his Mitchell’s spleen, large intestine and stomach. One of his lungs is still partially collapsed, but slowly he is regaining his strength.

“I feel extremely blessed. I had a great support group through the whole thing and they pushed me to bust my butt and get up there and start exercising and building my strength,” he said.

Mitchell said he has no idea who this person of interest is. He is happy the man is in custody and says now he can work on getting his life back.

“I still get to get up and walk around. Go do normal things. It’s the normal things that end up meaning the most after being shot. You realize how awesome the normal things are,” he explained.

Police aren’t releasing any details about the person of interest at this time. Mitchell told FOX 4 he has heard a few theories, one being the man is a disgruntled employee.

For more information on Mitchell’s recovery, click on this link.