BLUE SPRINGS, Mo. — Police in Blue Springs are warning residents about a scam that’s using them to get your money.
It sounds legit. “Shop with a Cop.” It’s supposedly a fundraising event for the Blue Springs Police Department, but in reality it’s just another way for scammers to scam you out of your credit card information.
It starts with a phone call to residents and businesses asking for a donation to the event so police can take needy kids shopping for the holidays. But it’s a scam.
“We do not fundraise in this manner and it is appalling that someone would take advantage of our community in this way,” Police Academy Alumni Association President Kevin Hornick said.
- If you do get a call, ask for written information about the event
- Ask for specific information about the non-profit like the phone number
- Avoid cash gifts, they can be lost or stolen
- Never give out personal information over the phone
- When in doubt, call police.