Snyder’s Supermarket to reopen after 6 months of repairs following fire that killed 2 KC firefighters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A grocery store is expect to reopen for the first time since a fire that killed two firefighters forced it to close in October.

October 12 was devastating for neighborhood near Independence Avenue and Prospect for two reasons----firefighters Larry Leggio and John Mesh were killed trying to save people in the apartment building fire and their neighborhood grocery store, Snyder's Supermarket, was forced to shut down.

Two firefighters killed Oct 12 fighting a fire: Larry Leggio and John Mesh.
Two firefighters killed Oct 12 fighting a fire: Larry Leggio and John Mesh.

All that's left of the apartment building that burned down next to Snyder’s is an empty lot.

During the past six months the family-run store has faced $350,000 worth of rotten meat, spoiled milk and more. The store manager says they've had to throw  everything out and start from scratch.

The family-run store has been part of the neighborhood for 50-years. This last month, according to the store manager, has been the hardest because they're trying to put the store back together.

Jerry James has run the store with his family for 28 of 43 years. He bought it from Mr. Snyder.

They have new lights, new security cameras, new product.

"Well they support us pretty well," James said. "We are their grocery store, we're their banking store, money orders what not, lot of them walk to us, hopefully they have been missing us and we'll start seeing them today."

James was at the store the night of the fire and heard the wall collapse.

His 18 employees did not miss a paycheck during the 6 months it was closed.

James said he had good insurance, but he also paid some out-of-pocket expenses.

The cause of the fire was determined to be arson.  Businesses in the area are working on a memorial for the two  fallen firefighters.



More News