This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — A local sports radio host said Monday that he has a sources who say Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill and his fiancee Crystal Espinal are not suspected of breaking their 3-year-old son’s arm. Sports Radio 810 WHB host Kevin Kietzman said sources close to the investigation believe the 3-year-old broke his arm in a January accident where he was bracing for a fall. Kietzman continued that both were cleared of any role early into the investigation. Their son’s injury has been the source of multiple home visits from Overland Park police, a pair of closed criminal investigations regarding Hill, and an active child in need of care case involving both Hill and Espinal, conducted by the Kansas Division of Children and Families. Last Friday, FOX4 confirmed that Johnson County prosecutors are no longer investigating Hill criminally. District Attorney Steve Howe said he would re-evaluate his decision if new evidence emerged, and still believes the 3-year-old boy was intentionally hurt by someone. He declined in April to file charges because he couldn’t prove who injured the child. Kietzman says that the criminal investigation didn’t involve the broken arm, but corporal punishment after he claims both Hill and Espinal admitted to disciplining the child with a belt and their hands. The Chiefs suspended Hill on April 25 after a recording emerged of a conversation between him and Espinal discussing the boy’s injuries. Hill has maintained that he’s done nothing wrong, saying his son’s health is his top priority. At the time, owner Clark Hunt said he was “deeply disturbed” by the audio recording. Chiefs spokesman Ted Crews said Friday the team would have no new comment on Hill’s situation. Hill has been banned from the team’s offseason voluntary workouts. The Chiefs end their offseason next week with mandatory minicamp. After the tape emerged in April, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said the criminal investigation was reopened . Howe did not respond when asked if that was true, but Hill’s attorney, Trey Pettlon, said Friday the criminal case has been closed for “quite some time now.” “Obviously there’s been some misinformation about that, but it is closed,” Pettlon said. A spokesman for the Kansas Department for Children and Families, Mike Denies, said he could not comment on its ongoing investigation of the couple. The NFL is investigating the case but Commissioner Roger Goodell said in May it was waiting for permission to interview Hill because the league didn’t want to interfere with the child welfare case. The league could punish Hill under its personal conduct policy. The investigation began after police were called to Hill’s home twice in March and determined the child had been injured. In the 11-minute audio recording reportedly made by Espinal in an airport in Dubai, she tells Hill when the boy was asked about his injured arm he replied: “Daddy did it.” Hill denied any role in what happened to the child, saying: “He says Daddy does a lot of things.” When Espinal tells Hill their son is “terrified of you,” he replies, “You need to be terrified of me, too, b****.” In a letter sent to the NFL in May, Pettlon denied that Hill ever hit his son and said Hill was willing to cooperate with the NFL investigation. Pettlon noted the recording was made when the couple was considering a separation. He said the couple was undergoing counseling and Hill is “committed to improving his life and becoming the best parent he can be.” The Chiefs drafted Hill even though he pleaded guilty in 2015 to domestic assault and battery for attacking Espinal while he was a student at Oklahoma State. He was dismissed from the Oklahoma State football team and ended up playing at West Alabama, where he underwent counseling sessions and other court-mandated service work.