Standoff outside convicted sex offender’s KCK home ends after 6 hours

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Police say from the very beginning after U.S. Marshals descended on Greg Andrews home near North 56th Street and Parallel Parkway around 8:30 Tuesday morning, a defiant Andrews refused to step outside his small white house on the corner and made threats against officers.

“I will not got quietly. You might as well put a bullet in me now,” shouted the 56-year-old Andrews to the many officers who surrounded his house and blocked off the  major intersection.

A huge crowd of neighbors, and people who said they supported Andrews and other curious bystanders gathered nearby.

At times, many of the adults chanted all kinds of things including, “Don’t shoot! Don’t shoot!”

Investigators say U.S. Marshals arrived at Andrews’ home to try and serve him with three warrants including two for failing to register as a sex offender.

Police say for hours they tried to talk Andrews out of his home.

Finally, after six hours, dozens of federal marshals, KCK police officers and SWAT team members packed up and left after an incident commander with the police department said Andrews “was not a threat to the community.”

“I was an innocent man, falsely accused, convicted and taken from my family,” Andrews told FOX 4’S Robert Townsend during an interview.

“They were here because they were fake warrants that Wyandotte County Prosecutor Jerome Goran put out on me,” said Greg Andrews.

“They have wrongly targeted this family. They have corruptly targeted this family,” says an irate Renee Andrews, Greg’s wife.

Wyandotte County Prosecutor Jerome Gorman says Greg Andrews’ criminal record speaks for itself.

In December, 2009 a young girl accused Andrews of inappropriately touching her. In March, 2012 a jury convicted Andrews of indecent liberties with a child under 16.

The self-proclaimed minister and gospel artist was sentenced to two and a half years in prison.

In July 2012, Andrews was also sentenced to 30 days in jail after being convicted of stalking a Wyandotte County judge.

“I will die a martyr’s death!” yelled Greg Andrews as he waived from his locked home before police called finally called off the standoff.

“Oh yeah I know they will be back. This ain’t over, ” says Andrews.

Andrews said late Tuesday afternoon after the standoff ended, police were at the schools of his two children with social workers. Andrews said his 13-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son are now in state custody as investigators determine if his home is “a safe environment for the children.”

A spokesman for the Kansas City, Kan., Police Dept., said the incident remains under investigation and they will try another day to serve the warrants to Andrews.



More News