This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — The Missouri State Highway Patrol is investigating a shooting Wednesday that resulted in the deaths of an Independence Police Officer as well as the suspect.

The suspect, identified as 33-year-old Cody Levi Harrison, of Gladstone, had a long rap sheet of criminal history. He was most recently charged with second-degree felony burglary and stealing in Jackson County.

He was released on own recognizance on Aug. 30. He had a follow-up hearing scheduled Sept. 13, just two days prior to the shooting, but didn’t show up for it. At that point, prosecutors said they requested a warrant for his arrest.

Harrison was also charged and sentenced to 15 years in prison for shooting at a vehicle in Clay County back in 2011.

At this time, it’s unclear why Harrison was released from the Jackson County jail.

Cody Harrison

The officer has been identified as 22-year-old Blaize Madrid-Evans. He was initially taken to the hospital with critical injuries, but died late Wednesday night.

The Independence Police Department said he recently began his career with the department at the Kansas City Regional Academy on January 4 and graduated July 8.

After receiving his police commission, Madrid-Evans entered IPD’s Field Training Officer program. He was still in training at the time of the shooting.

Investigators said the shooting happened near East 23rd Street South and South Northern Boulevard around 11:30 a.m.

Sgt. Andy Bell with the Missouri Highway Patrol said Independence police received some type of tip that led them to a home in the neighborhood.

When the two officers arrived at the house, investigators said a man, later identified as Harrison, was armed with a handgun and met them. Harrison shot one of the officers. The uninjured officer returned fire and hit the gunman.

Harrison died from his injuries.

The shooting is currently under investigation by the Missouri State Highway Patrol.