KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Eight frustrated families at Sterling Apartments in Independence say their lives are now in limbo. They said code inspectors showed up at their apartment building near South Sterling and East 15th Street on Monday, surveyed the site and decided that Building No. 17 is dangerous and unsafe.
Linda Walters, 71, and her son are fuming. They said they suddenly had to grab their clothes, boxes of food and bare necessities and temporarily move in with Walters' daughter.
"I'm not very happy and nobody else in here is happy. It's terrible," Walters said.
Walters said for the last five years the ceilings in her kitchen, bathroom and living room have all leaked and continue to crack and fall.
Kelly Erwin said for months she and her neighbors have complained to their landlord, Sterling Plaza Owner Art Nino, about faulty electrical wiring, rusted, shaking rails and missing or worn stairs.
"I'm extremely worried because I am currently unemployed and I have nowhere to go, " she said.
FOX 4 caught up with Art Nino working inside one of his apartments at nearby Building No. 17. Nino said he doesn't know how long the now cited building will remain shut down.
"I am working on the electrical problems, " Nino said as he stood behind an apartment door.
Meanwhile, the families are allowed to retrieve many of their items, but only between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
They must be out of their apartments for good by Saturday.