KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Steve Phillips a guitarist for “The Elders”, a six-piece Celtic Rock band that formed in Kansas City, has died due to COVID-19.
The band made the announcement through a Facebook post on Wednesday afternoon.
“Steve had been battling Pulmonary Fibrosis for quite a while and a recent bout of COVID-19 was finally too much for him to handle. He passed away in the loving arms of his beautiful wife, children and grandchildren,” said the post. “Your prayers for his family and all those close to him are welcomed and appreciated. We are all broken-hearted.”
Since forming in 1998, The Elders have released six studio albums, four live albums, one compilation album and three DVDs.
The band’s last DVD was the Emmy-nominated “Going to Arklow” and the band is inducted in the Kansas Music Hall of Fame.
Ian Byrne, Steve Phillips, Norm Dahlor, Brent Hoad, Kian Byrne, and Diana Ladio are the six members of the band.
Phillips was a member of a three-piece bar band formed in 1983 called, “Steve, Bob and Rich.” Signing a contract with Mercury/Polygram records, they added a drummer and became “The Rainmakers” which garnered critical acclaim. The Rainmakers toured the United States and Europe and saw their videos play on MTV Europe.
- Missouri senator proposes largest income tax cut in state’s history
- Senate Dems reach deal on unemployment aid in COVID-19 relief bill, ending all-day standstill
- KU football coach Les Miles placed on administrative leave amid misconduct allegations at LSU
- Asteroid the size of 3 football fields to pass by Earth on Friday night
- With temperatures up, COVID cases down, First Friday businesses happy to see more customers