This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TONGANOXIE, Kan. — Residents at a nursing home in Tonganoxie had to evacuate Monday morning because of carbon monoxide.

Officials in Leavenworth County said multiple agencies were successful in being able to evacuate 68 people from Legend Healthcare. Some were taken to Sacred Heart Church, and others were taken to an area hospital to be checked out as a precaution.

Residents were being moved back into the facility just before 1 p.m. Monday.

It all started just before midnight though when high carbon monoxide levels were detected. Vince McGowan with the nursing home’s parent company, Aperion, said after firefighters responded the first time, the call was made to vent the hallways and shelter in place.

The carbon monoxide levels went down, but then rose again a couple hours later.

The Tonganoxie Fire Department called in help from all over Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties, who responded to quickly take the folks in danger to safety.

Donna Prentiss’ mother was one of the patients evacuated.

“They are watching over them constantly making sure everyone is safe,” she said. “They’ve got something to do. They’re playing bingo, and they`re getting ready to watch a movie and then go to lunch.”

While trying to entertain and care for the 68 patients, an HVAC company quickly identified the issue and fixed it so everyone could return by early afternoon.

They call carbon monoxide poisoning the silent killer.

It was a carbon monoxide detector that alerted the staff to the impending danger. It’s something everyone should have in your home. Monday’s events were a good reminder to get one of you don’t have one, and if you do, check the batteries. It could save your life.