This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Turkey and Apple Breakfast Sausage
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons rubbed dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add apples and sauté until the apples are very tender, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool completely.
- Add turkey, breadcrumbs, egg whites, sage, salt, pepper, red pepper, crushed red pepper, and thyme; mix well. Divide the sausage mixture into 16 portions and form into 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the outside is golden brown and the interior is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Makes 8 servings, 2 patties per serving.
Per serving: 150 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 45 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein;1 g fiber; 555 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.