Careless smoking caused fire at Overland Park group residential home for people with disabilities

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OVERLAND, Kan. -- Firefighters in Overland Park rescued two people from a burning house overnight, caused by careless smoking, according to the fire department.

It happened at a group residential home for people with disabilities at 141st and Parkhill near 143rd and Pflumm. Firefighters were called to the scene shortly after midnight. When they arrived, they found four of the residents had made it out safely, but two of them were still trapped inside on the second floor. Firefighters rushed up the stairs and pulled them out as the others battled the fire in the back of the house.

It took crews about thirty minutes to put out the flames as they spread to the kitchen and basement. Five residents with disabilities and the caregiver were inside sleeping when fire started in the back of the house.

Fire officials say they did have working smoke detectors, which helped wake them up.

A spokesperson for Overland Park Regional Hospital said three people were treated and released. The two who were rescued are still recovering in the hospital - one is in critical condition while the other is in serious but stable condition. Fire officials say they didn't get burns but suffered from smoke inhalation.

 

Popular

Latest

More News