This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A chimney service crew helped rescue a cat Friday that had been trapped in a KC home’s chimney for approximately five days.

Roommates living in a home near 41st and Warwick said they heard their cat, Marble, meowing, after she had been missing for days.

They couldn’t figure out where the meowing was coming from, then eventually realized it was coming from their chimney.

“She probably climbed one of these trees and fell off into the chimney, or she just slipped off the chimney thinking she could get warm trying to get inside that way,” said Tuesday West, one of Marble’s owners.

After phone calls to various agencies to help, they were hopeless.

“Went to sleep last night pretty much accepting that I probably wouldn’t have a cat anymore,” Marble’s other owner Taylor Hazley said.

That is, until they called Full Service Chimney.

“What they said was that a couple other companies, fire departments, just basically said we can`t help you, unfortunately, so we made it a point to come out here, and take care of the issue,” said Chris Terrones, with Full Service Chimney.

The chimney is old and sealed from the inside. The only way to get Marble out was to drill a hole through the side of the brick.

“Most people said it wasn’t worth risking a beautiful fireplace that’s not even in use,” Hazley said. “We were really heartbroken just to feel as if we weren’t going to have her presence around.”

They used a camera to see exactly where the cat was and then started cutting through the brick.

“At first, it was its back, then it turned around and kind of hissed at me a little bit,” Terrones said.

The technicians estimated that they had to cut through at least 2 feet of brick with a chisel and jackhammer before they could free Marvel, and they did the work free of charge.

The rescue operation took hours, but the roommates said they’re just glad Marble is safe and is home.

“I just want to say thank you to these guys at Full Service Chimney. They were really the only people who would come out and actively try to do something about this,” Hazley said.

“Relief, definitely relief, and definitely glad she seems OK, doesn`t seem like she has any broken bones or anything,” West said.