‘You come home, and you’ve got this mess,’ family laments loss of home to explosion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. – An Independence family started Wednesday with nothing after a natural gas leak destroyed their longtime home Tuesday. A huge mound of trash and debris is all that’s left of the Dorsey family home, off 24th Street and Vermont in Independence.

Investigators say a natural gas leak leveled the home shortly before 1 p.m. Tuesday. The family did have a gas stove, but told Fox 4 everything was turned off after breakfast. No one was home at the time but the family lost several pets.
Jimmie Dorsey described what he saw when the family came back one day later.

“From that door into the living room, from the living room was a dining room, and then a bedroom up to the backside, and another bedroom at the backside. It’s unbelievable, you know? You live there since 1971 and everything was okay and then all of a sudden, you come home and get a call and you’ve got this mess,” he said.

He says he spent much of the day “talking to insurance adjusters and different things.” Dorsey says some of the things they’ll miss the most are the irreplaceable, personal items.

“Pictures, wedding pictures, pictures of kids growing up. And so it was really bad, all of the personal things that you lose,” he said.

Judith Dorsey, Jimmie’s wife, grew up in the one-story home. She said the conversations Tuesday night after the blast, were difficult.

“We talked about what happened and what a total nightmare it was. [We’re] real upset about the animals but at least two of them survived,” she said.

The Dorseys plan to rebuild in the exact same spot.

“Just have to rebuild and go on.” Jimmie said, “That’s the most important thing. Just [that] everybody [is] okay.”



More News