This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
- 3/4 pound collard greens
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16oz. bag frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper vinegar, like Tabasco
- 1 meatless smoked sausage, finely chopped
- REMOVE the tough stems from the collard greens. Place the leaves in a large bowl with water to remove any dirt and grit. Drain, rinse well, and cut into thin strips.
- HEAT the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, broth, and meatless sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the greens are soft, up to 40 minutes. If desired, remove the lid during the last 5 minutes to boil off some of the cooking liquid. Add pepper vinegar and serve over brown rice.
|SATURATED FAT||0.6 G|
|TOTAL SUGARS||2.5 G|
|DIETARY FIBER||6.2 G|