KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It’s time for a fresh Italian creation perfect for warm days and healthy eating!
FOX4’s Karli Ritter was invited to be the guest chef at Lazia in the Crossroads Hotel. Alongside executive chef Ian Wortham, Karli crafted a new menu item: a peekytoe crab and avacado salad!
Lazia is running a special weekend menu with four-course meals that change every couple weeks. Catch this dish available the last two weekends in April. It will also be a full-time menu item on the rooftop bar and restaurant, Percheron.
Watch the preparation in the video embedded in this recipe. Here’s how you do it:
- 8 oz Cooked Peekytoe Crab Meat
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 2 Tablespoons Sliced Chives
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 6oz Herb Mayo (recipe follows)
- 2 Small Radishes, thinly sliced
- 4-8 Picked Leaves of Mint
- A Few Tablespoons Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pick through the crabmeat to make sure there are no shell fragments.
- Put the meat in a small mixing bowl and add the lemon zest and chives. Dress the mixture with lemon juice, olive oil, and season with salt.
- Smear an equal amount of herb mayo in the bottom of 4 small bowls.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop the avocado halves out of the skin and place in the mayo. Season each one with salt.
- Evenly distribute the crab mixture across all the avocados.
- Garnish with mint and radish.
Herb mayo ingredients
- 100g Basil
- 100g Arugula
- 10g Ascorbic Acid
- 350g Water
- 100g Egg Yolk
- 400g Canola Oil
- Salt to taste
Herb mayo directions
- Put the basil, arugula, water and ascorbic acid in a strong blender. Blend on high until all the leaves are pulverized.
- Strain through a fine sieve and keep the pulp.
- Scoop the pulp into a food processor along with the egg yolk. Turn on the machine and slowly stream in the oil to make the emulsification. Season with salt to taste.
- The green liquid from making the pulp can be used as a wellness shot for up to 24 hours before it turns dark.
Sign up to receive a weekly email from FOX4 with the recipes we featured on our FOX4 newscasts.