LOUISVILLE, Ky. — It’s Kentucky Derby time! Ahead of the big race on May 1, executive chef David Danielson shows off one of his favorite dishes right from Churchill Downs.
Watch the preparation in the video embedded in this recipe.
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 4 – 6 to 8 oz. chicken, breasts
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 12-15 Cremini mushrooms,
- 1 cup dark chicken stock
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a heavy skillet, heat canola oil on medium until oil starts to shimmer.
2. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper, add to skillet and sauté until they start to brown. Turn over and brown other side. Chicken does not need to cooked through.
3. Remove chicken from pan and place to the side.
4. Add Vidalia onion to pan, sauté until onions begin to caramelize.
5. Add mushrooms to pan and continue cooking until they are slightly browned.
6. Add garlic and thyme, making sure all ingredients are mixed well.
7. Add chicken stock and add chicken back to pan.
8. Continue to cook, uncovered, until sauce has reduced and become thickened and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
9. Remove from stove and let the chicken rest 5-10 minutes.
10. Plate chicken and coat with Vidalia onion and mushroom sauce, and serve.
Sign up to receive a weekly email from FOX4 with the recipes we featured on our FOX4 newscasts.