KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Need some inspiration for a delicious dish to serve for Easter brunch? Look no further than this recipe from Jill Garcia-Schmidt from the Kansas City Culinary Center.
She teaches us how to make Challah French Toast in the video player at the top of the page. You’ll also find the recipe below.
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4-5 slices of day-old challah bread (or bread of your choice), sliced 3/4-inch thick
- Heat 10-12 inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat
- Beat egg in shallow pan or pie plate
- Whisk in milk, vanilla, and 2 Tbsp of melted butter
- Add sugar, flour, salt, and whisk until smooth
- Soak bread, but don’t oversaturate
- Pick up bread and allow excess batter to drip off
- Swirl 1 tbsp of butter in hot skillet
- Transfer bread and cook until golden brown and delicious
- Serve immediately
- Top with syrup and powder sugar, if desired
- Add 1 tbsp of butter to pan per each new batch
The Culinary Center of Kansas City is hosting Brunch Class and Challah Bread-Making Class. They also have summer camps for kids.
📲 Download the FOX4 News app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for FOX4 email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on fox4kc.com for Kansas City and all of Kansas and Missouri.